Most meetings are a waste of time and money.
Can you tell i hate them?
Add up the hourly rate of everyone in the room. Then multiply by the length of the meeting.
Meetings are expensive.
Most are unnecessary.
First ask yourself this important question before you schedule any meeting.
“What is my outcome for this meeting?”
In other words why are we holding it and specifically what do we want to accomplish?
And I mean be very specific. Get real clarity.
Seems simple enough.
If you’re like me, you’ve sat through too many meetings with no agenda and no plan.
Most meetings can be avoided if people will first define their outcome. It is highly probable you can achieve it without holding a meeting.
Here are some quick thoughts about managing meetings.
- Always define your outcome for the meeting before you decide to schedule it.
- Create an agenda that has specific topics and clear outcomes for each.
- Bring together only those people that really need to be in the meeting.
- Set a time limit for the meeting and announce how long it will last.
- Begin and end the meeting on time. End early if possible.
- Stick to your agenda.
- Outline action items and timetables that make people accountable for their follow through.
- Use this same thinking for conference calls.
- Avoid inviting me to your meeting at all costs. Thanks.